WIVB - AP Clients Only - Embargo Buffalo
Buffalo, NY - Jan. 14
"USAGE OF THIS VIDEO MATERIAL IS LIMITED TO THE LESSER OF THE PERIOD OF THE DISPLAY RIGHTS IN YOUR CONTRACT WITH AP OR 30 DAYS.
1. John Thompson walking in front of VA hospital
2. WS VA Hospital
3. SOUNDBITE: John Thompson/Former V.A. Hospital Inpatient (Transcribed Below)
4. CU and pan right on insulin pen
5. Tilt up at VA Medical Center
6. MS of sign in front of VA hospital
7. SOUNDBITE: Voice of Rep. Chris Collins / R-New York: (Transcribed Below)
8. TS of insulin pen being handled by nurse
9. MS of insulin pen being handled by nurse
10. SOUNDBITE: Dr. Donald McDonald/VA Hospital Chief of Medicine (Transcribed Below)
11. MS of VA Medical Center sign on building
12. MS of VA Hospital and flag in front
13. MS of Dept. of Veterans Affairs sign
JOHN THOMPSON IS ONE OF MORE THAN 700 PATIENTS IN WESTERN NEW YORK -- GETTING CARE FOR DIABETES -- WHO MAY HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO DISEASES LIKE H-I-V -- HEPATITIS B AND HEPATITIS C.
SOUNDBITE: John Thompson/Former V.A. Hospital Inpatient
"What did they tell you about the odds that you might have anything. They told me it was pretty small that I had anything...and I'm hopeful they're right.
THE PROBLEM -- MULTI-DOSE PENS INTENDED FOR USE BY ONE PATIENT THAT MAY HAVE BEEN USED ON MORE THAN ONE PERSON.
FEDERAL AUTHORITIES HAVE LONG WARNED AGAINST SHARING INSULIN PENS.
NOW, LAWMAKERS FROM THE REGION WANT AN INVESTIGATION.
SOUNDBITE: Voice of Rep. Chris Collins / R-New York: (Transcribed Below)
"People have to be trained, and trained again and procedures need to be put in place and protocols so this doesn't happen...and the VA will have to answer to...and making sure this doesn't happen...and asking the question....why did it happen in the first place.
ALTHOUGH THE NEEDLES IN THE PENS WERE CHANGED, THE STORED INSULIN COULD STILL GET CONTAMINATED BY A BACK FLOW OF BLOOD WITH EACH USE.
SOUNDBITE: Dr. Donald McDonald/VA Hospital Chief of Medicine (Transcribed Below)
"We cannot guarantee 100 percent that body fluids couldn't have passed back into the insulin pen, so through an abundance of caution, we are notifying all patients who may have been affected.
THE HOSPITAL SAYS ONLY INPATIENTS IN BUFFALO WERE AFFECTED.
AND THE V.A. IS ESTABLISHING A CALL CENTER TO HANDLE VETERANS QUESTIONS -- PLUS ARRANGE FOR BLOOD TESTS AND ANY NECESSARY FOLLOW-UP CARE.
----------------------THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.