AP Television - AP Clients Only
Midland City, Alabama - Jan. 30
1. Two small children with candles
2. Little girl holding candle
3. SOUNDBITE: Katlynn Steverson / Resident
He is in my son's class and I see him everday....
4. SOUNDBITE: Katlynn Steverson / Resident
"Rain or shine you got to stick together no matter how old or young the victim is, you should be there. I mean he's only a kindergartner"
5. We live right there so we heard the sirens and everything going on. I couldn't imagine being a parent or going through that because I would have already gone crazy. I'm just blessed it didn't happen to my son.
Alabama law enforcement authorities say negotiations are ongoing with a gunman who has been holed up with a 5-year-old boy for more than a day after snatching the child off a school bus and fatally shooting the bus driver.
Alabama State Trooper Charles Dysart told news media gathered near the site of the standoff late Wednesday that nothing in the situation has changed. He said no additional information would be released until Thursday morning.
SWAT teams have taken up positions around the gunman's rural property and police negotiators are trying to win the 5-year-old's safe release.
Authorities initially said the boy was 6, but a state lawmaker who has spent time with the kindergartener's family says he does not turn 6 until next week.
Meanwhile, a prayer vigil was held for the child on Wednesday evening. Katlynn Steverson, one of the adults at the vigil said, ""Rain or shine you got to stick together no matter how old or young the victim is, you should be there. I mean he's only a kindergartner."