Motorists and people with respiratory problems are urged to remain cautious, with thick smoke expected from 13 bushfires burning across Tasmania.
Firefighters are still battling to bring the state's largest fire at Molesworth, near Hobart, under control.
The Fire Service's Paul Symington says cool temperatures will bring relief, but a south westerly breeze is expected to push smoke across the greater Hobart area.
The Pinnacle Road and all walking tracks on the eastern side of Mount Wellington have been re-opened.
Mount Wellington was closed to the public on Saturday.
The Molesworth fire has burnt more than 1900 hectares.
The Fire Service's Phil Douglas says the Mount Wellington closure is a precautionary measure.
"It's not that the fire's impacting there, it's the amount of smoke that's in the area and its more of a health, respiratory issue with possible issues with people and tourists who might be wanting to go to the top of the mountain," he said.
He says the fire will take at least a week to extinguish.
More than 100 local firefighters are battling the blaze and support from Victoria was deployed this morning.
Dozens of homes have so far escaped damage.
Emergency Services Minister David O'Byrne commended efforts so far.
"They're still doing an amazing job protecting life and property," he said.
The Government is looking into getting further reinforcements from New South Wales.
Molesworth residents are reporting close calls and lucky escapes.
They have told how flames came within metres of their homes.
One man said the fire passed under cars parked on his property but burnt only grass.
Several sheds, cars and a caravan have been destroyed, but no homes have been lost.
Authorities will decide today when it will be safe for residents to return home.
Their main concern is the fire's erratic behaviour and fallen trees and power lines.