KGO - Courtesy / Embargo San Francisco -- AP Clients Only
Monterey, California -- Feb. 25
1. Aerial shot of Pacific Ocean just off the coast of Monterey, California
2. Shot of boats in Monterey Harbor
3. Wide of Coast Guard personnel walking to boat
4. SOUND ON TAPE OF DISTRESS CALL: (transcribed Below)
5. Aerial shots of Pacific Ocean just off the coast of Monterey, California
6. SOUNDBITE: Petty Officer Pamela Boehland / U.S. Coast Guard (Transcript Below)
7. Aerial shot of Pacific Ocean just off the coast of Monterrey, California
8. Wide shot of reporter and Pamela Boehland
9. SOUNDBITE: Petty Officer Pamela Boehland / U.S. Coast Guard (Transcript Below)
10. Wide shot of ocean
11. Aerial shot of harbor
12. Various aerial shots of Pacific Ocean
THE U.S. COAST GUARD SAYS A HUSBAND....WIFE....AND TWO YOUNG CHILDREN HAVE GONE MISSING FAR OFF THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA COAST.
THE FAMILY HASN'T BEEN IDENTIFIED, AND THE AGENCY HAS RELEASED A DISTRESS CALL FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON......HOPING THE PUBLIC CAN HELP.
SOUND ON TAPE: MISSING BOATERS
"coast guard....coast guard, we are abandoning ship....This is Charm Blow....we are abandoning ship."
INVESTIGATORS USED THE BOAT'S RADIO SIGNAL AND RADAR TO DETERM THE CALL CAME FROM AN AREA MORE THAN 60 MILES WEST OF MONTEREY.
It was incredibly far away....68 miles off shore...the signal was really weak....we had to piece together what we can.."
THE BOATERS ALSO COMMUNICATED THAT THEIR 29 FOOT SAILBOAT WAS TAKING ON WATER AND THE ELECTRONICS WERE FAILING.
"they said they had a cooler...and a life ring...and they were going to try to put them together to make some sort of life raft because they had to abandon the vessel because it had been taking on water."
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAD ISSUED AN ADVISORY THROUGHOUT THE WEEKEND....WARNING OF STRONG WINDS AND ROUGH SEAS IN THE REGION.
WATER TEMPERATURES IN THE AREA ARE TYPICALLY IN THE 40'S AND 50'S.....MAKING LONG-TERM SURVIVAL DIFFICULT.
SIGOUT - Ed Donahue /Associated Press