A coronial inquest into the deaths of two WA public health workers has found the pair died of accidental overdoses from drugs obtained from their workplaces.

27-year-old Hayley Fisher was a midwife at King Edward Memorial Hospital and 39-year-old Craig Doherty was a nurse at Royal Perth Hospital.

Ms Fisher died in 2009 after injecting the pain killer fentanyl in the hospital's staff toilets.

Mr Doherty died the following year in his home after injecting a toxic amount of a solution containing the anaesthetic propofol.

The coroner recommended hospitals restrict unauthorised use of propofol and suggested the Health Department review how access to pain medication is controlled.