AP TELEVISION - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Frankfurt, Germany - 11 September 2013
1. Wide of Jaguar compact SUV on turntable
2. Wide of Lexus compact hybrid SUV on turntable
3. Wide of 6-wheeled Brabus SUV
4. Wide of Nissan Friend-Me with model on turntable
5. Wide pan left of floor of auto show
6. Wide of Smart FourJoy on turntable
7. SOUNDBITE (English) Martin Hulder, Smart head of marketing
+note: bite is covered with previous shot+
8. Mid pan from back seat to front of Smart FourJoy
9. Close of rear spoiler of Nissan Friend-Me
10. Mid of Friend-Me interior
11. Close of Friend-Me rear wheel
12. SOUNDBITE (English) Etienne Henry, Nissan vice-president of product planning
13. Close of Friend-Me dashboard
14. Close of Nismo smart watch prototype
15. Mid of model wearing watch in driver's seat
16. SOUNDBITE (English) Etienne Henry, Nissan vice-president of product planning
17. Wide of BMW i8 on turntable
18. Mid of passenger side of i8
19. Mid of driver side of i8
20. Mid of front grille of i8
21. Wide of Citroen Cactus
22. Close of air panels on Cactus
23. Close of rear spoiler on Cactus
24. Close of airbump
25. SOUNDBITE (English) Frederic Duvernier, designer of Citroen Cactus concept:
26. Mid of Cactus interior
27. Wide tilt-down of show floor
THEY LOOK FUTURISTIC, SLEEK, AND SOMETIMES JUST PLAIN WEIRD.
AND THEY MAY BE COMING TO A SHOWROOM NEAR YOU.
THESE CONCEPT CARS AT THE FRANKFURT AUTO SHOW GIVE DESIGNERS A CHANCE TO SHOW WHAT THEY'RE CAPABLE OF.
(covered) SOUNDBITE (English) Martin Hulder, Smart head of marketing
"Obviously we are talking here about a show car. And a show car always is a little bit exaggerated."
BUT SOME AUTOMAKERS AREN'T EXAGGERATING.
NISSAN WANTS THIS *FRIEND-ME* CONCEPT TO BE ON THE STREETS OF ONE INCREASINGLY LUCRATIVE MARKET.
SOUNDBITE (English) Etienne Henry, Nissan vice-president of product planning:
"It is essentially targeted at the Chinese market in terms of size, proportion. This is a sedan but this is a very modern sedan."
NISSAN IS ALSO TESTING A HIGH-TECH *ACCESSORY*.
THE *NISMO* SMART WATCH WILL GIVE THE DRIVER INFORMATION ON THE CAR.... AND VICE VERSA.
SOUNDBITE (English) Etienne Henry, vice-president of product planning:
"The idea is that the watch can take some biometric details from the driver and, you know, feed them in to the engine control unit and adjust the engine and the driving dynamics accordingly."
A BIG FOCUS THIS YEAR IS HYBRIDS.
BMW is showing off their latest addition to their range of hybrid cars.
THE I8 WILL BE AVAILABLE TO US CUSTOMERS IN THE SPRING OF 20-14... STARTING AROUND 135-GRAND.
EUROPE GETS THE CITROEN CACTUS IN A COUPLE YEARS.
THE HATCHBACK HAS AIR CAPSULES ON THE SIDES, FRONT AND REAR TO SAVE IT FROM SCRATCHES AND HELP FUEL EFFICIENCY.
SOUNDBITE (English) Frederic Duvernier, designer of Citroen Cactus concept:
"The main idea behind the design was to create a car with no worries, no stress, and a relaxed car, simple, practical, strong, protected, and very comfortable."
THE SHOW RUNS UNTIL SEPTEMBER 22ND.
Noel Waghorn/Associated Press