Damage from the NSW bushfires has been estimated at $138 million but the Insurance Council (ICA) of Australia expects it to increase as more inspections are conducted.
On Friday morning 1011 claims had been made, ICA CEO Rob Whelan said.
More than 200 homes have been destroyed and more than 100 were damaged in the large fires but more claims are expected as many areas haven't been declared safe and insurance assessors can't enter.
"While claims lodgements have stabilised over the past couple of days, we expect these to begin climbing again as returning residents assess any property damage," Mr Whelan said.
Some people have already received money from their insurance company and the ICA urges people to lodge claims as early as possible.
The NRMA says it has received more than 550 claims for building, contents, total loss and motor vehicles among other items.
Because the fires continue and some areas are inaccessible "it is still too early to determine expected total numbers of claims and associated costs," said NRMA insurance spokesman James Rickards said in a statement.
Representatives from the ICA and insurance companies will be at a community meeting at the Winmalee High School on Friday night.
Anyone with questions about their insurance should contact the ICA on 1800 734 621.